Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Renewing Our Minds

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2

I believe this Scripture is so important to us as Christians. Almost on a daily basis, I have to examine my thoughts and feelings and compare them to the Word of God. We are not to be conformed to the world, to our culture, to our fleshly nature. Sometimes, things happen in life and we feel a certain way. Lots of other people feel that way too. We feel right. We can call friend after friend, and probably most would agree with us. But the Word of God still stands. The Bible tells us that God's ways are higher than our ways. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

I'm thinking of this in light of one of my dear friends' approach to the tragic loss of her adult son. I heard about his death a couple of days ago, and I'm still just not understanding. I've heard people say things like "he's in a better place now"- and I agree; I know that ultimately that is the case. The Bible says  
"For we walk by faith, not by sight.  We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:7-9).  

We are not to "mourn" his loss, but to rejoice that he is with God. 
I was greatly encouraged today when I spoke with my friend briefly regarding some of the arrangements for his memorial. She sounded upbeat, positive- strong. The joy of the Lord truly is her strength. (Nehemiah 8:10) I was glad to hear that, but seriously it took a mental adjustment for me. Granted, she's a strong "rock" of a woman who has been walking with the Lord for longer than I've been walking period, but still. What an example of truly walking by faith and not by sight  She's apparently not giving any place to the enemy to steal her strength or her joy. It's truly inspiring to really see someone's response almost immediately line up with the Word of God when it really matters most.  

So, I ask...what areas of your life need some mind renewal?