Friday, November 12, 2010

Big Changes

So, a lot has been going on around here lately. Obviously, not so much on the blog...but in the life behind the blog. I've really only been posting the Mommy's Piggy Tales posts- mostly because those are scheduled for Thursdays and I don't want to get behind on them.

A week and a half ago a little after 3 p.m., I received a call from my husband (who would have normally been at work at that time). It was an odd time for him to call, and I missed his first call. When he called back just a few minutes later, I knew something was up.

His voice on the other end said "well...they recommended me for termination...and it was approved."

A little background: he had been working at this job for about a year and a half. The first year had been pretty good, and we were seeing much increase from it. It was actually pretty exciting following his six month long unemployment. We were able to pay down a lot of our debt and get caught up on many seriously past due bills. But within the past several months, my husband had begun struggling within the "system" so to speak. It seemed like he would accomplish what they were asking him to do, only to then have the requirements changed on him. He came to a point where he was no longer allowed to work overtime...and then his "numbers" were so bad that he wasn't able to bonus...but a lot of people on his team had the same problem. And his employers weren't adjusting the requirements. We became aware that they were considering terminating him when he challenged his scores for the month of July...he was supposed to earn more for that month, and he felt he was scored inaccurately. He was denied for that and to add insult to injury, one of the supervisors added "we were actually considering recommending you for termination".

So I wasn't totally caught off guard by his termination, but it still came as a shock. In that moment, I knew not to freak out. We had spent a looooong six months before this job trusting God to meet every. single. need. that came up...neither one of us had a regular income, and I had recently taken "the leap" to become a stay at home mom. I know that we will be provided for, I think the hardest thing for me is that it happened right before the holidays. Actually, four days before he was terminated from his job, I signed up to become a consultant for a network marketing company so I could earn some extra money for Christmas and other "fun stuff" I wanted to do without "burdening" my husband with the extra expense. So once I get that up and running, we will have a little something (or more, depending on what happens with that) coming in in the interim. Aside, of course from God's supernatural provision.

So, we will be moving at the end of the month. We still have a few months left on our lease, but we simply can't afford to live here anymore. (That was something we were really considering before the job loss anyway). Especially knowing there is cheaper rent out here in our area. The place we hope to be moving to will be almost half of what we pay now. It will be somewhat smaller, which is the opposite of what I wanted for our family, but I can't really complain seeing that we will be spending so much less. Anyway, it's only temporary. And the landlord offers a six month lease. That's a lot more flexible than the 12-18 month leases we've been signing at our current location.

This turn of events is actually kind of a catalyst of a sort for my husband. He's starting to take this as a hint that he's not supposed to be pursuing this kind of work. (His last two jobs have been in the financial industry). Actually, we are well aware that he's not supposed to be doing this kind of work ultimately- I guess it's just been a "for now" sort of thing. His main focus and calling is music-related. He currently leads worship at our church. He plays just about any instrument you put in front of him. He started out with violin at age 5, and God just expanded his repertoire from there. He mainly sings, plays guitar and bass, and also plays drums frequently.

For me, this is sort of fun and scary at the same time. Many people in our circle understand and acknowledge that he shouldn't be wasting time pursuing another job in the financial industry. For me, though, I must admit that I'm struggling with the unconventionality of it all. Really, it just goes back to trusting God to meet our needs. I could sit here all day and talk about how I trust God, but if I'm not submitting to what my husband feels like he's called (or not called) to do, where does that leave me? I know everything is going to ultimately work out for the best..."And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28). But honestly, I could really use some prayer in the mean time!

I don't want to limit God to what our situation looks like in the natural. I don't think that's fair to Him. He is a BIG God who has big plans for our family. I know this. It is a little more difficult to actually walk that out though!

So, what kind of tough financial situations have increased or challenged your faith lately?