Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Best Prayer I've Ever Prayed for My Marriage


Long ago (okay, probably just a little more than a year ago) I found myself where many wives find themselves: with a bad case of "baby fever". We had two children at the time, and after our second, we agreed that was all we could handle. (I think we thought we really meant it, too!) But, somewhere along the line since my daughter was born almost two years prior, I felt that God changed my heart concerning our family size. I was beginning to feel like we needed to try to add one more, and of course my husband was not moved by my rationale of "I don't know why, I just think we should." (So typical!)

So, here we were in this place of disagreement. It seemed to last for a few months. I kept re-approaching the subject, to no avail. (He kept reminding me of all the reasons we thought we were done). I struggled with submitting to him, I pleaded with God to change him, or to give me some way to get my point across...something!

Finally, I had an "a-ha!" moment. I can't remember exactly how this came to me (did I read it somewhere?) but I had the notion to pray that our desires would line up with God's desires for our family.

"Lord, I ask that You would cause Your desires to become our desires, and that we would come into agreement with Your plan."

Now, if you read a few posts back, you'll know how this turned out for us (it happened pretty quickly too, I might add). I was scared to pray this way, because that meant surrendering my will and accepting God's will (okay, admittedly, in this scenario, more often than not, His plan is for growth, but still).

How would praying that prayer impact our lives in other instances?

  • A relocation
  • Finances
  • Educational choices for our children

The list could go on and on. The point is, that not only would we be in agreement with our husband, but our marriage and family would be consecrated to God! There's no way we could go wrong with that!

Linking up w/
Rediscovering Domesticity Blog Button