Monday, November 22, 2010

One Flesh


"So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.” Matthew 19:6

How many of us heard that Scripture at our wedding? (I'm raising my hand). I know that the idea that's typically expressed when we hear that Scripture is that when you get married to your husband, you are now one entity rather than two. The other day, though, I had a funny idea. Sort of funny. Okay, bear with me.

One of my favorite Scriptures is in Galatians 5 where Paul is talking about the flesh vs. the Spirit. "I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish." Galatians 5:16-17

In this context, "flesh" is something negative. The "works of the flesh" are things that we as believers need to shun. (Which we see in verses 19-21 of the same chapter).

Anyway, I just made the connection between this Scripture and the one that so many "unsuspecting" brides hear on their wedding day as they are gazing into their sweetie's eyes all the while enmeshed in white fabric.

Could it be that when united in Holy Matrimony that God desires us to be even less "fleshly" in nature? I'm thinking so.

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." Genesis 2:24

Marriage (at least in my experience) is a refining experience. There is simply not room for two people of the same marital unit seeking after their own often conflicting desires.

So where does that leave us? Walk in the Spirit! You can't control your husband...but you can control yourself. You can pray for your husband, but as you do, pray for God to change you first if necessary (as my pastor's wife has often told me). Yielding to God and the Holy Spirit is the one surefire way for there to be "one flesh" instead of two in your marriage. Just think of how much more fulfilling and fruitful your marriage will be with less yucky flesh to deal with!

What are some tips you can share that have helped your marriage become a "one flesh" marriage?

Linking up for "Marriage Mondays" at Come Have a Peace