Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Questions

I found this festive meme at A Stranger in this Land- Here's her list from a couple weeks ago!

I don't know what it is about this year...I realize that Christmas is fast approaching, and I've managed to put up a little "Charlie Brown-ish" Christmas tree (the ornaments did not survive the children's curiosity!) and the stockings that my sister lovingly handmade for our family.  Other than that, I'm hardly in the "Christmas mood".  I realize it is about Jesus- but for me that's what every day is about.  Sooo...I was thinking that participating in this meme would help me gear up for the upcoming festivities! Enjoy, and feel free to link to your own meme!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I actually really love wrapping presents.  Call me crazy, but it's only once per year, most of the other gift-giving occasions get a gift bag ('cause I have a million of them!) but there's just something about wrapping a gift at Christmas that makes is so much more special.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial.  I've never had a real tree since I've been "out on my own".  I don't plan on doing a real one any time soon, unless it's like...one of those little potted ones.

3. When do you put up the tree? That is to be determined. I have no set "rule" for this...sometime after Thanksgiving...usually in the first week or so of December.

4. When do you take the tree down? Again, no "rule" for this one...usually the week following Christmas though, 'cause I know if I don't it'll still be there in February!  Now with little ones, the sooner the better!

5. Do you like eggnog? No!  But I'm sure it's possible that one year I will start liking it!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Two words: Big Wheel!

7. Hardest person to buy for? Can I count myself?  I know I'm terribly picky!  Ok, maybe my husband.

8. Easiest person to buy for? Any of my eight nieces and nephews!

9. Do you have a nativity scene? No.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Neither.  I think I sent out cards the first year we were married, but since then I have not. (Sorry, Grandma!)

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Probably most everything I receive from the "white elephant" gift exchange at church!

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Hmm...maybe "A Christmas Story".  I might be saying that 'cause I'm having trouble coming up with something better.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? A week or two before Christmas usually!

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Totally have! See number 11!

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Gumbo. Our family eats it every Christmas Eve.

16. Lights on the tree (colored or clear)? I like the colors. I give bonus points for flashing lights! Lol. :)

17. Favorite Christmas song? I'm going to have to say Harry Connick Jr's version of "O Holy Night".

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We stay local.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Nope.

20. Angel, star or ribbon on top of tree? I like angels on top of the tree.  And flashy colored lights.  Are you getting a visual now? (Like, the tackiest Christmas tree ever? Just kidding.)

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve with extended family, and Christmas morning at home with the children. The best of both worlds!

22. Favorite children's Christmas song? The Chipmunk Song. (C'mon, you saw that coming, right?)

23. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Basically, the greed aspect I think.

24. Favorite ornament theme or color? No theme, really.  I just like the sentimental ornaments...the ones the children make, "Baby's First Christmas"- stuff like that.

25. Turkey or ham on Christmas day? I don't know if there's really a traditional "something" we eat on Christmas day.  I guess it just depends on where we are.

26. What do you want for Christmas this year? Just to spend time with family and enjoy the day. And, one can never go wrong with more books!

27. Does anyone in your family dress up as Santa? Nope.

28. Age you discovered who Santa was? I have no idea.  It may have been in early adolescence. I think it was kind of something I always knew was just make believe.

29. Eggnog, hot chocolate, or apple cider? Hot chocolate would probably be the all time favorite, but apple cider sounds pretty good right about now.

30. Traditional colors (red and green) or other colors? Blue. My Grandma made me a Christmasy table runner that was blue with silver snow flakes. Very pretty.

31. Do you have any Christmas decorations on your roof? That would be a "no"!

32. How does Santa get into your house? He doesn't.  Jesus and Santa in the same house? Hmm...I mean I know some people do it, but the modern portrayal of "Santa Claus" just goes against my (and my husband's) personal convictions.

33. Do you prefer gifts or gift cards? Gift cards would be really useful right about now. But usually I appreciate a really thoughtful gift.

34. Favorite children's Christmas Cartoon? I'd probably have to say "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"...but actually I prefer reading the story.