Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Set a Bible Reading Goal for 2011!

How much time did you spend reading the Bible this past year? If you don't know...you should find out!

As I shared previously in this post at the beginning of July, I keep track of the days that I actually have my "quiet time". It's pretty simple. At the end of each year, I print off a "Read Through the Bible in a Year" reading plan (or you could make a copy if you have one in the back of your Bible) and each day that I sit down to have a "formal" time with the Lord, I circle that day's date and reading assignment. If I finish the reading, I cross it off. (If I look back and see a crossed off assignment, I know I probably missed that day, but went back to read it anyway).

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't feel this is a requirement to being spiritual. I just find this to be a good way for me to keep track. But guess what? The more scribbles on the paper, the better I function! True story!

Did you know that by reading three chapters of the Bible per day, you can read through the New Testament in 90 days? Or that by reading an average of four chapters per day, you can read through the entire Bible in a year? Or, if you read one chapter per day, you can read through the entire New Testament in a year. (By the way, that's kind of the rate I was going this year! Well, sort of!) 
Do whatever works for you. But, do something! Even if it's just one verse of Scripture per day, you'll be better off than if you hadn't read anything at all! Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Is there anybody that doesn't need more "power" for their day?

I would encourage you to take a moment and make a Scripture-reading goal for the upcoming year. And keep track of your progress. I'm always amazed when I look back and see what percentage of my month I actually spent in reading God's Word. Sometimes it can be a tad discouraging if I've been less than diligent, but you can better believe during those times, I get really determined to be more consistent.

Here are a few links to printable Bible reading plans to help you get started:


What "system" do you follow to make sure you're consistent in Bible-reading? Share with me in the comments!