Sunday, March 13, 2011

Religion or Relationship?

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 Message
 
I love this Scripture! In my experience, this it what it's really like following Jesus. The only ones who burden us are ourselves (or other well-meaning people) who think that God requires us to work for our relationship with Him. Sure, we do have a part to play- just like with any relationship. But God wants to give us so much more than He requires from us!

As wives and mothers this perspective is so helpful...so freeing. We need the "unforced rhythms of grace" at work in our lives on a daily basis.

God offers us a relationship. He gives us strength and wisdom for everyday. Peace. Hope. Love. All that good stuff! He gives it to us, so we can give it to others. Our husband. Our children. Our home. Our ministry.

Walk with Him today! Don't be afraid of "giving up too much" for the sake of His Kingdom. Just take it step by step. Go as He directs. You won't get overwhelmed or burned out!

Is your walk with God about religion or a relationship?