Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Keys to Overcoming Anger- Staying Connected

 1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2, New King James Version)
As a wife and mom, there are many things that I have reacted to in anger over the past few years.


Anger because I feel let down. I feel rushed or overwhelmed. I feel like there's not one more interruption I can tolerate. I can't bear to feel one more small round bit of cereal crunching under my feet.


Before I was married, I seldom got angry. I was so spiritual then! As one man of God has said, "everyone is super-spiritual until they get around other people." That truth certainly has played out in my life!


People make mistakes. They stumble. They sin. Sometimes against you!


Keep your eyes on Jesus.


It's such a cliche. And one that I kind of got tired of hearing...until I got it!


When we allow ourselves to respond in anger, we are taking our eyes off of Jesus, and putting our hopes and expectations on our husband, our children, our whatever! 

We must stay connected to Jesus, no matter what! That does not mean that we will never get angry at anything. But those frustrating situations will be less and less in our minds as we are looking to Him to meet our needs, to fulfill our expectations and hopes. He really is everything to us! 

As we learn dependence on Him, we will begin to overcome anger!

 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33, New King James Version)

What helps you to stay connected to Jesus?

Linking up with: