Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pregnancy Series Part Two- My Favorite "Go To" Pregnancy Books

While I'm working on other upcoming posts for this series, I thought I would let you know about my favorite books to reference during pregnancy.  These are the ones that were always constantly within arm's reach for any question I had while I prepared for the births of my children.  I've also loaned these books to friends and family members during their pregnancies, and now, I recommend them to you!  So here they are:  


Christ Centered Childbirth by Kelly J. Townsend.  I love this book because of the way she artfully ties the entire process to our faith in Christ (as the title suggests).  I am especially fascinated by the link between the gestational period and the feasts in Israel.  The author also includes many prayers for the expectant mommy to pray on a regular basis.  There are several great birth testimonies from Christian perspectives included.

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way: Revised Edition by Susan McCutcheon.  I read this book when I was pregnant with my second child.  It has so many great tips and tools you can utilize for having a natural, un-medicated birth.  It really breaks down what happens in a woman's body during pregnancy and childbirth in an easy to understand way (including some pretty graphic illustrations and photos- just so you're warned!).  It's a great resource for learning about the risks of interventions, and why many of them are unnecessary in most cases.  After reading it, I was even more prepared to face my second un-medicated birth.  (I wish I would've known about this book the first time around though!)

The Pregnancy Book: Month-by-Month, Everything You Need to Know From America's Baby Experts by William Sears and Martha Sears.  I don't know that I need to say anything else about this one, I think the title says it all! 

The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth (Sears Parenting Library) another great one by William Sears and Martha Sears.  I love how they outline all the birthing options so that it's easy for the expectant mother to make an informed decision.  I also appreciate their unique perspective as people in the medical profession who prefer home births (in most cases) to hospital births.